Thursday, March 29, 2012

Elizabeth Almond's "Fountain Mandala"

"Fountain Mandala" was published in "The Gift of Stitching" issues 53 and 54. I started it in the week of January 7, 2011 and completed it January 16, 2011. I entered it, and won First prize, in "Needlework Specialities - counted thread" category at Wood County (Ohio) Fair, 2011.
























Here is a close-up of a corner detail:

















And here is a closeup of the central motif:



















I really enjoy stitching blackwork, even if I don't always do it correctly, with double running stitch, and thought this would be a great project to get me back into large blackwork projects. I made one change from the chart --- I used seed beads in place of French knots in the centers of the square stitches because I was afraid that embroidery floss would show through the very transparent linen I was using.

I have at least two more TGOS charts kitted up but need to clear the decks of other WIPS before taking them out to work on.

Apologies for the weird spacing and color changes in text. I don't know how to make blogger do what I want it to do...

5 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a beautiful Mandala, I love the seed beads you've added.

I can see what the trouble with this blog is going to be - I'll end up buying ALL the back issues!!

Gillie said...

Blogger is a law until itself! Goodness, Carol, it really is lovely. Just as well I have all the back issues, lol!

CatsnCorgis said...

My goodness the Fountain Mandala is beyond gorgeous! You are a magnificent stitcher. That's what I hope to be when I grow up. (I'm 66 now). Sally from Washington

Lizzy Pizzy said...

Beautiful work Carol. I can't believe you finished it so quickly. Congrats on winning first place too.
Liz x

Denise SA said...

Another one I want to stitch. Its beautiful.If you find out how to make blogger do what you want please let me in on the secret