Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pics of few items completed from TGOS

Hello from Sunny South Florida! I thought to post a few pics that I had handy of a few finishes. Unfortunately, I don't have the issue date or number of several of these projects, but let me know if you need the info and am sure I can find it for you.

Ok, the above are not exclusively from TGOS, but you will recognize 4 (maybe 5?). The one in the bottom center was an ornament from one of the ornament issues that I turned into a tuffet using DMC variations. The one on the right of that one was designed and offered as a freebie by Kirsten a few summers ago. The one on the top right and the one with the red tassel near it were both featured in TGOS.


This one is also from TGOS. It was originally published as a monochrome, but I broke the design into colors and also changed the back, if I recall correctly, and added a few beads, and added the "blackwork" in the hearts. I love it!!!


Also from TGOS, from a series of needle books the magazine did. I changed the pattern a bit to add my initials to the front.
This from one of the ornament issues. It was supposed to be done on evenweave but I failed to read the instructions and put it on Aida...yes, the words are over one on Aida...HA!!...I am THE QUEEN OF STITCHING!!!

Well, this is what I have available on my computer. I have a few other projects done but no pics. I sure did learn a lot from this magazine. Happy Christmas and Prosperous New Year to all! Christina G



Tuesday, December 11, 2012

"Birds of a Feather"


"Birds of a Feather is complete! I was beginning to think it was going to drag on forever (I checked and the first stitches were put in in July!).

So here it is, a design by Yvonne Horn of Papillon Creations, puclished in "The Gift of Stitching", Issue 57, October, 2010! And with the exception of some fudging for miscounting and switching out beads from my stash for the ones called for, this is stitched as instructed... Stitched on Wichelt's Permin of Copenhagen 32 count linen ("French Lace"), which might have been a mistake since I think some of the colors would have shown better on a pure white or even an antique white, but I didn't have any 32 count large enough in those colors; bad enough that I didn't have Q-snaps long enough either! ... Finished stitched area is 16 1/3" by 9 2/3 ". 


It was the specialty stitching and the beading that really slowed me down... Here's a close-up of one of the border corners so you can see what that entailed:


I don't know if you can see the gold and peacock blue beads easily - I know the light yellow star stitches and the gold braid couching doesn't show up at all... But there are nine specialty stitches in the border: Rhodes Squares, Ray stitches, Diamond Eyelets, Lazy Daisies, Rhodes Diamonds, Herringbone stitch, Fan stitches, Couching and backstitch in addition to the beading. In the center, there are large Queen stitched (if you consider over six threads large!), Tied Windmill stitches, Diagonal Fly stitches, and Star stitches as well as straight stitches on the birds' heads and backstitching on the feathers and paisley motifs.  A sampler more than a picture, I think.